Sunday, September 5, 2010

How to: Deal with Little Sisters


Little sisters go through stages. Well, human beings go through the same stages, but watching someone grow up changes the story.  I didn't realize that the littlest one would grow up and become cognizant of the world around her.  I thought she was gonna be little and cute forever! But alas, she is a petite woman now with opinions of her own. Pre-teen years.  Kids are growing up so fast these days.  My sister's friends have boyfriends and talk about things they shouldn't.  They're 11 for crying out loud! And now kids are getting pregnant at 12.   Make me wanna holler, for real.  The littlest one is going through so many things.  I admit her early childhood was a bust for many reasons.  One of them being that she endured constant teasing from her two older sisters.  Of course, as we are older now too, we see the error of our ways, but we're reaping what we sowed.  The little one is so sad all the time.  She's being bullied at school; she's unhappy with her family life; she feels her opinions don't matter.  It just grieves me that she feels so unhappy, that she feels she doesn't matter.  I'm sure every kid goes through a bout of depression - when they realize the world isn't all roses and rainbows, but a difficult place where injustice runs rampant. My sister, I think, is just going through hers early. She's always been so smart for her age. Well, the only thing I can do is tell her that I love her every day, spend as much time with her as I can,  be as understanding as I can, and encourage her in whatever she chooses to do. And I hope one day she'll realize that she has nothing to be sad about as she can do anything, be anything, that she wants to be and we'll all be there to support her.

No comments:

Post a Comment